Our Legacy - A Long Tradition

Long's legacy begins in Eugene in the year 1927, when Ernest "Butch" Long opened shop on Charnelton Street . His son Melvin worked alongside of his father while receiving a bachelor's degree in business from the U of O. While many businesses found that the Depression took a fatal toll on them, the new business continued to grow. Melvin took leave from the family business from 1942 to 1946 to serve in the Army Air Corp.

At that time, Long's Meats became part of the Stanley Market, today known as L&L Marketplace. Melvin took on two partners in the business, Marley Sims and Les Hettick, along with three meat cutters as the business grew. Upon Melvin's retirement in 1968, Sims and Hettick prepared employee Dick Wooley, who began his career for Long's in 1959, to eventually operate the business after their retirement. His son and current owner, Mike, worked alongside him, much like the beginning of the business back in '27 with Butch and Melvin. Dick purchased Long's in 1976 when Sims and Hettick retired. Dick's retirement in '96 gave him 37 years of service in the L&L location. Mike Wooley took over the helm as owner/manager.

With a reorganization of the L&L Market, Mike saw an opportunity to relocate the store at the present location of 81 E. 28th Ave in Eugene as part of The Southtowne Shoppes inside the Chase Building . As the business has grown in this site, we've added two more meatcutters to better serve the need for quality meat in which Long's has always provided for the area.

We would like to thank the many hundreds of customers who have continued to purchase meats from us throughout the years and for our vendors who have maintained the highest quality standards in their meat products.


A Few Vendors
Copyright 2012 - Long's Meat Market 81 E. 28th Ave, Eugene, Or 97405 541-344-3172 - Webmaster - David Brown - Logion Web Design
<